Family Law Archives

How Long Do Child Support Payments Continue in Georgia?

When a couple divorces and there are children involved, the spouses and/ or the judge will make a decision regarding custody and child support. The non-custodial parent will pay support to the custodial parent who has the children living with them. The amount and the duration of the payment will vary case to case. If you have questions regarding your situation, consult with an Atlanta divorce attorney from our firm right away. In Georgia, the non-custodial parent will need to provide child support payments until the child turns 18, becomes emancipated, gets married or passes away. Oftentimes, the court can order child support payments from both parents to continue if their child is attending secondary school past the age of 18. This may allow the child to receive payments until they reach the age of 20, but the ruling expires at age 20. There are also exceptions if the child does not graduate high school at age 18. If the child is still in high school after age 18, the parent may need to continue payments until the child graduates.

Various Possible Child Custody Orders in GA

A child custody order will determine which parent will have physical and legal custody of the child. Generally both types of custody will be shared in some way unless one parent is deemed unfit to have custody of the child. Legal custody gives the parent the right to make decisions in the child's life. Joint legal custody requires parents to work together with these decisions, but one parent will have final decision-making rights regarding medical, religious and education decisions. Physical custody dictates which parent the child will live with. Commonly parents receive joint physical custody where they share equal time with the child.

What are the Signs of Parental Alienation?

Using alienation tactics is one way that an ex can take out their anger or jealousy towards their ex or the parent of their child. Being aware of what is happening is the first step to reversing the alienation. Once you are aware seek assistance from an Atlanta divorce attorney to help investigate your case. There are warning signs that you should look for from your child, including:

Email us for A response

Questions? Get Answers Now.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

8100 A Roswell Road, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30350

Phone: 404-631-6300
Fax: 855-782-3537
Atlanta Law Office Map