August 2013 Archives

Can I Get a Modification to my Child Support or Custody order?

The main reason that the court will grant a child support or child custody modification is if there has been a change in the circumstances since the original order. There are instances wherein you can seek a modification without a change in circumstances, but that does not occur as often. Some of the changes in circumstances that the court will consider a modification for, include:

How Long Do Child Support Payments Continue in Georgia?

When a couple divorces and there are children involved, the spouses and/ or the judge will make a decision regarding custody and child support. The non-custodial parent will pay support to the custodial parent who has the children living with them. The amount and the duration of the payment will vary case to case. If you have questions regarding your situation, consult with an Atlanta divorce attorney from our firm right away. In Georgia, the non-custodial parent will need to provide child support payments until the child turns 18, becomes emancipated, gets married or passes away. Oftentimes, the court can order child support payments from both parents to continue if their child is attending secondary school past the age of 18. This may allow the child to receive payments until they reach the age of 20, but the ruling expires at age 20. There are also exceptions if the child does not graduate high school at age 18. If the child is still in high school after age 18, the parent may need to continue payments until the child graduates.

Email us for A response

Questions? Get Answers Now.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

8100 A Roswell Road, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30350

Phone: 404-631-6300
Fax: 855-782-3537
Atlanta Law Office Map